Friday, November 2, 2012

To My Future Person.

Today I spent the evening with my family. And by family I mean almost all of my cousins and aunts and uncles. I love spending quality time there at my aunt's place. It's one of the few places I feel comfortable in the exact meaning of the word. I mean, it's just not the house itself, it's all of us being there. It's one of those moments that I really take in and I say to myself, this is family. There is always food. Always. Little (but not so little anymore) kids run around and the mahjong table is always mandatory whatever the occasion. Sometimes there are board games, but mostly it's just talking, coffee, mahjong and eating.

Earlier tonight while I was waiting for my turn in Scrabble, one of my aunts started playing the piano and then a cousin of mine played after her. While they were playing the piano, I had this wallflower moment where I just looked around. There wasn't really much going on other than the usual, but I just thought that this was really, really nice. And then I thought about your family. I wonder what you all do when you're just hanging out. What your idea of fun was. Do any of your cousins or aunts or uncles play the piano? Or maybe the guitar? Is your family as dorky as my family? Probably not. My aunts and uncles play old tagalog movie / showbiz trivias almost every Christmas and it's so silly, I don't even understand any of it, but it's one of my favorite things to watch. It's as dorky as it gets. I wondered what kind of gatherings you had as a family and if you had a staple food that you all eat during Noche Buena or whatever. I know this is all so silly, but I couldn't help thinking about it. I have these random moments sometimes. It's weird, I know. I'm just hardwired that way.

I guess I'll never really stop thinking about how you are when you're with your family because I am close with mine and it's important to me that you value yours as well. I like the idea of being in one of your family gatherings and talking to your aunts or uncles and slowly figuring out why you are the way you are, why you think the way you do, where you got those certain mannerisms from, and whatever else you might've gotten from them. I mean, I know those kinds of things are often overlooked these days, and they might be so simple, but I just feel so strongly about it. I'm not quite sure why.

I'm not even sure why I'm writing this right now. I guess I will always be that girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment