Thursday, September 27, 2012

Write About Us

I can only count by my fingers the days when I can truly say that it was perfect. And today was one of them. Days like this don't come around very often. The days when you wake up and feel like it's going to be a good day and it really was.

I watched Perks of Being a Wallflower with my favorite people today. There is honestly no other set of people in this world that I would watch it with for the first time (and yes, I will watch it again and again). We've been looking forward to this since we found out that the book was being turned into a movie. When I found out that it was going to  be directed, produced and written by Stephen Chbosky, the author of the book, I knew it was going to be just fine. And true enough, it was perfect.


"I know there are people who say all these things don't happen, and there are people who forget what it's like to be sixteen when they turn seventeen. I know these will all be stories someday and our pictures will become old photographs, we'll all become somebody's mom or dad. But right now these moments are not stories, this is happening. I can see it, this one moment when you know you're not a sad story. You are alive. And you stand up and you see the lights in the buildings and everything that makes you wonder, and you're listening to that song in that drive with the people you love most in this world. And in this moment, I swear, we are infinite."

_______________________

The movie was not more or less, it was as it should be. Just like that. I'm pretty sure I'm a bit biased because I've read and re-read the book a couple of times and I feel like I really know these people. I feel like they are my friends and I am a part of their world. Logan is my Charlie, Emma is my Sam, and Ezra is my Patrick. PERFECTION. I can't even explain. The way they embodied all the characters in this movie is just the way it was meant to be. I think the Aunt Helen parts would be strange to the people who haven't read the book, but to me it was just as it should be. The music was perfect. If I was to change one thing in the movie it's probably the addition of Landslide (aka one of my favorite songs ever). I kept waiting for it but it never came. I understood that it didn't really fit in the "infinite" part, but I wish they still put it in there somewhere. Maybe when Charlie was saying goodbye to Sam or something. But anyway! That's just one tiny, tiny thing and it's not really a big deal. I don't think I'll ever be able to fully explain my feelings while watching this movie because... How do you explain the feeling of falling in love and feeling infinite at the same time? I don't know. The only thing I know is that that's how great, simple movies should make you feel.



Another thing I know for a fact is that being able to find people that are perfect for you is a rare gift. Rarely do you find people who just get you without even needing to explain yourself because they just know. There weren't a lot of words about Perks while we were having tea because we all knew it. We all felt it. The best we could do was hold hands during that last scene (which was perfect) and replay Patrick's killer lines. Oh my god, the movie was so good. Surround yourself with people who make you feel infinite, and everything is going to be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment