Thursday, September 27, 2012

10 Things I Should've Learned By Now

A few months back I was exposed to the beautiful art of spoken word poetry, and I stumbled upon Sarah Kay. That night, all I did was watch all the spoken word poetry I could until I fell asleep. The next day, I decided to gather up my courage and email this wonderful lady that has truly put a dent in the way I think and see things. Perspective. I sent an email thanking her for that and asking her if she could give me lists to maybe jumpstart on a writing session or something (writing lists is something she does when she makes drafts of a poem). I never thought she would reply because 1. she was on holiday at the time and 2. she probably gets 100+ emails a day. I just had to tell her that she had reached me and I was contented.

After a day or two, I saw that I had gotten an email from her. I couldn't quite believe it. She wrote me a lovely email and gave me book suggestions and lists to do. I've never actually done any of her given lists, so I thought since I'm starting this new blog for writing purposes, I'd go ahead and just start making them. First of five. Just so you know, this is going to be nothing like spoken word poetry. They're just lists. Maybe.


10 Things I Should've Learned By Now

  1. Food somehow tastes better when you're at someone else's house.
  2. Life doesn't stop for anyone.
  3. The things you want to change never do, and the things you don't, always do.
  4. It's not as bad as it seems. You can always try again tomorrow.
  5. Buying books in bulk will resort to book hoarding.
  6. Sincerely asking people, "So, how are you?" after a couple of shots gets you a pretty honest and decent answer.
  7. You will always regret that shot of tequila in the morning.
  8. There will always be crap days that could be turned into a good writing session.
  9. Your head is there to fight with your heart. All the time. Those feelings you're feeling right now? Sleep it off. 2 am onwards is not an advisable time to tweet/blog ridiculous emotional things because it's 2 am and the feelings take over the world for the next 3 hours. You can feel them all around you, hovering like Dementors wanting to take your soul. Ignore them until you get some sleep. It won't matter as much tomorrow.
  10. How to bake a cake. (I seriously should've learned this by now.)

Yeah. That's all I can think of right now. How fascinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment